I am a class teacher for Year Four and five students and a team leader for the middle school. My class and I are a part of the Manaiakalani Google ClassOnAir.


Saturday 9 August 2014

Reading Together Programme

I have been conducting the Reading Together Programme for 3 years now at our school. It is a fantastic programme where parents are made aware of the importance of Reading to and Reading with their children in Early years of their schooling. The strategies are so simple that anyone can learn them easily.  Just having 15 minutes of quality time with a child daily can help children move up levels in Reading. The programme consists of 4 sessions. Each session emphasises on how to make Reading fun and interesting at home. Hearing from a teacher about how to make reading fun and not a tedious process, instantly releases the parents of the hype  that is usually created around children's education.

This Year was the most rewarding year.  I had 17 families on roll and all showed keen interest in the programme. All children whose parents took part in the programme have made shifts and Reading has become a regular routine in their homes. As we were mixing and mingling with parents, I heard my Principal Rhonda Kelly say to the parents, " Time is the best gift we can give our children". And I could not agree less. Thank you to all the parents who took part in the programme. Together we can make a difference for our children.






No comments:

Post a Comment